Brexit and Dollar appreciation - Impact on travel to the UK and to Europe
Here are some of the ways that the e Brexit vote could make a difference in your travels:
- Dollar exchange rates: Thanks to Brexit and the election of Donald Trump, exchange rates between the U.S. dollar and the British pound are the lowest in about 30 years. Great Britain and London in particular will be the most affordable places to travel with discounts on everything related to travel. So, enjoy and live out your dream of visiting places in Great Britain. The US Dollar is stronger against the Euro also, so traveling within Europe using the Euro will be cheaper as well.
- US to Europe Air Travel: Airfares were already pretty low during summer. With fewer Europeans flying to the US with more capacity, airlines lowered the fare trying to fill the seats with Americans flying to Europe on the other leg of the flight. Lower prices encourage Americans wary of terrorism to fly to Europe. With lower pound value, rates will be even better for the Non Brits and otherwise empty seats will now be filled with travelers taking advantage of the deals.
- Tours and US vacation packages to Europe or Britain: It is a little early to tell but packaging companies and tour operators will put up more deals and offers that entices US travelers.
- Border Experiences: Americans already present passports when entering European Union-member countries and Britain. So not much will change there. Also, it will take years for Great Britain to exit from the E.U., and by then European and UK. countries will have had time to adjust to the need for more time-consuming details at foreign borders.
- Changes for British citizens: A lot will depend on whether we will see a hard Brexit or a soft Brexit. However it is fair to assume that British citizens will not need visas to travel into the EU, though they will have to pass through the passport control. They will be Non EU citizens and the airports now will have longer wait in the queue. If Brexit leads to a radical disintegration of the Union, the Schengen arrangement under which controls for most crossing the borders between the member states that has been removed might be re-introduced.