Immigrant medical insurance compulsory for US visaThe US government has proposed a new rule on October 4th 2019 which states that prospective new immigrants to the US are required to show proof of having proper health insurance coverage in the US. This new rule is expected to take effect from November 3rd 2019.
This rule will impact new immigrants to the US who are family members of current US citizens and are applying for visas to come to the US as immigrants. Failure to show proper US immigrant health insurance will be grounds to deny the visa according to this new rule.
While details of the new immigrant insurance requirements are still to be announced, the best US immigrant insurance plans that we offer on American Visitor Insurance work as short term health insurance which US immigrants can use till they are eligible for domestic US insurance plans.
Several benefits and few restrictions for Green Card Holders in America. Some of them are:
- Green Card Holders in the USA can enter or leave America according to their wish without denial by the immigration officials at the port of entry. You have to keep track of entry and exit dates and should carry Green Card with you while traveling.
- The Green Card has a lifetime validity, but a given Green Card will need renewal usually every 10 years.
- Green Card Holders do not require employment sponsorship in the US. Some jobs in the US require security clearance and only US citizens or Green Card holders can get this clearance.
- As a Green Card holder, you are allowed to start your own business, company or corporation.
- You can apply for financial aid for education which may be sponsored by the government.
- Green Card holders who have worked for a minimum of 10 years (40 quarters) in the USA have guaranteed social security benefits.
- Except for the right of voting, Green Card holders enjoy all legal rights as US citizens.
- Green Card holders can buy life or health insurance in America.
- You can buy or sell property or any items as American citizens.
Different ways to qualify for Green CardTo qualify for Green Card in the USA there are different eligibility criteria. Some of the important categories of immigration process that can grant Green Card for foreigners are listed here.
- Immigrant Category Eligibility:
To qualify for Green Card in the USA there are different eligibility criteria. The important categories of immigration process that can grant Green Card for foreigners are listed here. On a preference system, a foreigner who want to become a permanent resident through his/her qualified family member with a job or employment or a special category will be classified. However, the immediate relatives of US citizens are given highest immigration priority for permanent residence and there are a few exceptions.
- Family Based Immigration:
The immediate relatives of American citizens who need not have to wait for visa to become available.
Relatives who can get permanent residence quickly are
- Parent of a US citizen.
- Spouse of a US citizen.
- Unmarried children under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen.
Other family members have to wait for a visa to become available to apply for permanent residency.
- First Preference: Unmarried, adult (21 years or older) sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
- Second Preference A: Spouses of permanent residents and the unmarried children (under 21 years)) of permanent residents.
- Second Preference B: Unmarried sons and daughters (21 years or older) of permanent residents.
- Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children.
- Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children.
- Job or Employment Based:
In this category, the immigration based on a job may help to apply for permanent residence when immigration number becomes available.
Following is the order of preferences.
- First Preference: Priority Workers, including aliens with extraordinary abilities, outstanding professors and researchers, and certain multinational executives and managers.
- Second Preference: Members of professions holding an advanced degree or persons of exceptional ability (including individuals seeking a National Interest Waiver).
- Third Preference: Skilled Workers, professionals and other qualified workers.
- Fourth Preference: Certain special immigrants including those in religious vocations.
- Fifth Preference: Employment creation immigrants (investors or entrepreneurs).
Refugee or Asylum Based Status:
Refugees in the USA or qualifying spouse or a child of a refugee have to apply for Green Card 1 year after the entry. In case of an asylum and a qualifying spouse or a child of asylee you may apply after 1 year of the granting of asylum status.
As per the US law, the refugees have to apply for Green Card 1 year after being admitted to the USA in refugee status.
- Other Ways to Qualify: Some of the other ways to get green card will be if you are a Amerasian Child of a U.S. Citizen, American Indian born in Canada, Armed Forces Member, Cuban Native or Citizen, Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, Haitian Refugee, Help HAITI Act of 2010, and the Indochinese Parole Adjustment Act.
Health insurance options for Green Card holdersDomestic Insurance options are not immediately available for new immigrants in the USA
Here are some insurance plans that work well for Green Card holders as new US immigrants must wait 5 years before they can qualify for Medicare. The plans work as bridge plans until eligibility for local plans is satisfied. The plans are the following:
The Inbound Immigrant plan is specifically designed for the recent immigrant and/or green card holder. It is renewable for up to 5 years. It is a fixed benefits plan which has set limits it pays for each medical expense. It is available to any age group and at the 80+ age group becomes the best option of insurance we offer (regardless of visa status).
PLAN DETAILS BROCHURE BUY ONLINE
Patriot America/Patriot Platinum:
If a person has a green card, but maintains a residence outside the US, then they can purchase the Patriot America or Patriot Platinum plans. On the application, a person should list their foreign address as their "home" address. They can only get coverage for time while outside this "home" address (up to 12 months). This is a very economical comprehensive plan. The difference between the America and Platinum plans is the level of coverage available. The Patriot Platinum offers the highest maximum and the best coverage of all plans offered by IMG ($1 million or $100 for 70-79 years old). The Patriot America has lower maximums and lower limits in other areas (emergency medical evacuation, etc).
Patriot America: PLAN DETAILS BROCHURE BUY ONLINE
Patriot Platinum: PLAN DETAILS BROCHURE BUY ONLINE