Atlas America travel insurance coverage for Coronavirus
On March 11, 2020, the U.S. Department of State issued a Global Level 3 Travel Advisory urging U.S. residents to reconsider traveling abroad to any country.
If you are an Atlas America policyholder, this activates your political evacuation benefit as long as your location has not been under a level 3 or higher advisory in the past 10 days, or prior to your arrival.
All travel health insurance plans in the Atlas America contain the following exclusion:
Charges resulting from a disease outbreak in a country or location where the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have issued a level 3 travel warning are excluded if:
- The warning has been in effect within the 6 months immediately prior to your date of arrival, or
- You fail to depart the country or location within 10 days following the date the warning is issued
If the CDC Issues a Level 3 Travel Warning for the Location Where You Are Currently Traveling:
Coronavirus-related expenses will be covered for up to 10 days following the date the level 3 warning is issued, given that your expenses do not arise directly or indirectly from another policy exclusion.
Once 10 Days Have Passed from the Date the CDC Issued the Level 3 Travel Warning for Your Current Location:
You will no longer be covered for coronavirus-related expenses. You will still be covered for all other eligible expenses.
What This Exclusion Means for Atlas America Insurance Policyholders
The CDC issued a “Level 3 – Avoid Nonessential Travel” warning for Wuhan, China on January 23, 2020.
The CDC expanded this "Level 3 - Avoid Nonessential Travel"
warning to apply to all of China on January 27, 2020.
- If you are currently traveling in China and you do not depart the warned-against location within 10 days of the date the warning was issued: Your Atlas or StudentSecure plan will NOT cover you for any expenses resulting from 2019-nCoV contracted while in China.
- If you plan to travel to China against CDC advice while a level 3 travel warning is still in effect: Your Atlas America plan will NOT cover you for any expenses resulting from 2019-nCoV contracted while in China.
- If you plan to travel to China after the level 3 travel warning is cancelled or downgraded: Your Atlas America plan will NOT cover you for any expenses resulting from 2019-nCoV contracted while in China until 6 months after the date the level 3 travel warning was cancelled or downgraded.
The U.S. Department of State issued a “Level 3: Reconsider Travel” advisory for China
on January 27, 2020. This advisory was upgraded to a “Level 4: Do Not Travel” advisory for China on January 30, 2020.
Note that you are still covered for eligible expenses incurred in China while the travel warning is in effect if the expenses do not result from a disease outbreak, terrorist act, political unrest, or other policy exclusions.