When the travel health insurance plans offer coverage for pre existing conditions, they cover ONLY ACUTE ONSET OF PRE EXISTING CONDITON.
Acute onset of pre existing condition:
This is a sudden recurrence of a pre existing condition( please read the definition of pre existing condition above) without any forewarning, which needs immediate medical attention. However, it is in the hands of the doctor/provider to decide whether the incident can be considered as a acute onset of pre existing condition.
It is very important to know that the sudden recurrence of the incident does not guarantee coverage.
Here are some examples of where there is a sudden recurrence but the incident doesn't get coverage from the insurance company.
- A person with blood pressure has not been taking recommended dosage of medication regularly, or has messed up with the routine, and has been experiencing discomfort for sometime already before the situation manifests into a sudden recurrence.
- A person who has had a heart attack takes part in some kind of adventure sports which is not advised and has developed sudden recurrence.
- If the person has had no health complaints all along and has been experiencing some pain in back may not be covered as acute onset of pre existing condition.
- Any kind of preventive care or routine check up for the pre existing condition also does not come under coverage for acute onset of pre existing condition.
Most Travel health insurance plans offer maximum coverage for acute onset of pre existing condition up to the age of 70. Both the fixed and comprehensive plans offer coverage for people under 70. (please see here to know the difference between fixed and comprehensive travel insurance plans
Some best comprehensive travel insurance for acute onset of pre existing conditions have extended their coverage for people above 70 up to the age of 80.
Atlas Travel plan is one of the excellent comprehensive plan that offers worldwide coverage and offers a very good coverage for people above 70 up to age of 80 for acute onset of pre existing conditions. A policy maximum of $150,000 is available for people of this age group which is great.
Atlas Premium America is another version of this plan which is a bit more expensive but worthy enough to buy for acute onset of pre existing coverage.
Safe Travels USA Comprehensive is another comprehensive plan that offers cover for above 70 up to the age of 89. A policy maximum of $50,000 is available with this plan for people above age 65.
There are two INF comprehensive plans that offer coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- The Advantage plan from IMG must be purchased for at least one month and has a maximum of $75,000 with a matching $75,000 coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- The Elite plan offered by INF also has a $75,000 maximum but only covers pre-existing conditions up to $20,000.
More Best travel insurance for acute onset of pre existing conditions
are available here for all age groups. The other plans cover acute onset of pre existing condition above the age of 70 but the benefit is available only for an amount of $2,500. Again these are comprehensive plans. Only few fixed plans offer coverage for acute onset of pre existing conditions above the age of 70.
Visitors Care plan
from IMG. This plan provides an amount of $2500 for heart attack and stroke for people above the age of 70.
Safe Travels visitors to the USA
from Trawick International. This plan provides an amount of $15,000 for people in the age range of 70-79 for acute onset of pre existing condition.
ACA does not allow the insurance companies to deny the coverage for pre existing condition. But it is important to know that this is applicable only to the domestic health care of the US which is eligible only for US permanent residents and US citizens.
On the other hand, the Best travel insurance for acute onset of pre existing conditions discussed above do not comply with the ACA and there is no need for that, as they cover NON US citizens coming to the US and US citizens traveling outside of the US.