Importance of buying visitors medical insurance when traveling to the USIf you are traveling to the United States, it is important that you buy good visitors medical insurance. While visiting the US is fun, being forced to go to an US hospital can be traumatic. Unlike some other western nations, the United States does not have universal health care and domestic health insurance plans are limited to US residents. As a visitor to the US, you have to pay for medical/dental services should you need it. While at first glance this might not seem like a big deal, but dig a little deeper and on seeing the cost of US healthcare you will realize the importance of getting visitors medical insurance when in the USA.
Medical care in the US is very costly and you might find yourself paying through your nose if you suffer from any illness or accident and are treated for the same in an US hospital. The cost of routine physician visit is very expensive in the US. The common ailments like Diabetes Mellitus with Hyperglycemia admitted to an emergency room would cost around $25,000. Stroke resulting in ICU for about 10 days would cost $120,000, Heart attack treatment with medical bills for ambulance, hospital emergency room, ICU, EKG and MRI heart scans and continuing care from cardiologists would cost about $20,000, The average treatment cost of acute kidney failure in the USA was over $22,000 in 2018. If you want to protect yourself from these high expenses, you need visitor medical insurance. Some visitor insurance plans from INF cover these pre-existing medical ailments. You will be visiting the US to explore the country and culture, to catch its sights and sounds, meet family or for business, you do not want any expensive medical treatment to interfere with your visit.
Let's see why visitor medical insurance is a must while traveling to the United States
- US witnesses a record number of visitors every year and it is imperative all of them take visitor medial insurance because the USA is a great country to visit but Its health care is very expensive.
- A routine visit to a physician is not only costly but massively expensive.
- Any serious treatment can cost you an arm and a leg. God forbid you need to undergo a surgical procedure in the United States and don't have a visitor medical insurance that covers this procedure. The question to ask is – Will you be able to afford it and what if you can't?
- You will want to avoid a hospital stay. Don’t want to pay an obscene amount of money for your hospital stay straight out of your pockets, get visitor medical insurance. Beyond the medical expenses, there are other reasons for visitors to buy medical insurance.
- Avoid the confusion of a new medical ecosystem:
Which doctor do you go to if you’ve fallen sick?
Who are the medical practitioners in the area you are currently visiting?
Which are the hospitals?
With a visitor medical insurance you don’t have to find answers to such question in a medical emergency.
The PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) that most of these insurance products are connected to, help you out. There is a huge nationwide list of doctors, hospitals and service providers that is a part of this network, which recognize your insurance provider. If you want treatment just look up the names and approach the medical expert in your area.
- Your money stays in your pockets
Using the services of a medical provider in the PPO network usually means doctors and hospitals will bill the insurance providers directly. You enjoy cashless billing. And the result – You don't scrimp on your US holiday.
- Lots of choices on offer – To suit your budget
There are two types of visitor insurance plans to choose from:
Given all these factors, it makes immense sense for visitors to buy travel medical insurance. While you can buy visitor medical insurance from your home country, buying from the US makes more sense as the companies are more aware of the complexities of the US healthcare system and make it easier for visitors to get the treatment they are looking for. What's more, if you are unhappy with the services of an insurance company, you can get in touch with insurance regulatory authorities in the US.