Will my Canadian health insurance cover me in the US?
We asked this question often. Please note that the Canadian Government website clearly states that Canadian health insurance is not valid outside Canada and it is recommended to buy travel insurance for Canadians visiting USA.
Can a Canadian citizen get health insurance in the US?
Yes, there are some health insurance for Canadian visitors to USA offered by INF with coverage for pre-existing medical ailments. To find the best Canadian travel insurance for seniors or Canadian snowbird travel insurance, relevant information is at older traveler US health insurance for Canadian snowbirds plans. The information provided includes the medical maximum health insurance for Canadian seniors travelling to the USA available for their age in these Snowbird destinations. It is important to understand the different US health insurance for Canadian snowbirds and to make an informed decision while buying snowbird health insurance for Canadians traveling into US.
For Canadians who want to visit the US multiple times within a year, they can consider buying the Annual multi trip plan which will provide coverage for the whole year with a specific time period limit for each trip like 30, 45, 60... days depending on the plan. This option is cheaper than buying US health insurance for Canadian snowbirds for every single trip and is most suitable for people making multiple trips for business...
If an individual is a dual citizen with Canadian and US citizenship, then the person can buy insurance for visiting US from Canada by entering Canada as the home country and US as the country of citizenship in order to buy US travel insurance for his/her sojourn in the US.
Some important tips for Canadian snowbirds:
- Not sure on what type of coverage you need? understand trip protection, medical or long term coverage
- Compare health insurance for Canadian visitors to USA based on price of different plans, the policy maximum and other benefits.
- Find out what's included in US health insurance for Canadian snowbirds , what's excluded and policy limits by reading the policy brochure.
- Review the pre-existing conditions visitor insurance coverage plans.
- Review the policy wording.
- Buy Snowbird travel insurance to USA before leaving Canada